The internet has made it possible for more and more activities to be done online with practicality and effectiveness. Studying, working, participating in online meetings, playing games with friends, accessing movies and series, among countless other possibilities that in the past could only be done in person.
This allowed the internet to become popular, increasing the options for plans and broadband operators available in the market. With so many alternatives and package possibilities, it is important to analyze the demand that the contracted plan must meet so as not to regret it after hiring.
Some points must be taken into account, such as speed, how many people will use the internet and what it will be used for, for example. With that in mind, here are some tips that will help you when choosing the ideal internet plan for your home.
1- Assess your consumption and needs
Before anything else, you need to assess what your real usage needs are. We say this because knowing your internet consumption helps you understand the best upload and download speed you should look for when hiring a planner. In addition, it is also important to consider how many people will be using the internet connection with you.
For a group of people who play games, exchange heavy files and watch a lot of content via streaming, an ideal plan is above 25 mega. Now, for a family that uses the internet for research, social media, and online shopping, a basic plan is enough. With that in mind, here are some important recommendations on how to choose the best residential internet plan:
- 1 mega: Suitable for those who consume little internet, ideal for those who send emails, news, and social networks.
- 5 mega: Suitable for those who like to watch videos, do light downloads and video calls.
- 10 mega: Suitable for those who are always connected, to watch many videos and social networks faster.
- 20 mega: Suitable for faster document loading, watching long movies, and playing online games.
- 50, 100, and even 300 mega: Suitable for those who use a lot of connected devices and high-quality video uploads.
2 – Compare internet plans
Before making any decision, search for the main broadband internet plans available at your address. A monthly discount can make a big difference to your home’s budget and help save for emergencies or family entertainment.
Also, take some time to analyze internet plans, contact companies to find out about plans, services, and prices, to find an advantageous plan. Cleverping’s plan comparator helps you, through the search filter, to find phone and internet bundles that suit your needs, and of course, within your budget. In addition, it helps you choose packages according to your needs, whether with fiber optics or other types of broadband.
3 – Compare the technologies of the plans
By carrying out a research, you will learn about the different internet technologies, as well as their advantages and prices that vary from one to the other. Therefore, it is best to know each of these technologies, so it is easier to understand which best meets the needs of your home. Discover the main technologies of internet plans below:
- Cable internet plans: Cable internet is a mix of metallic cables and fiber cables. The internet signal is transmitted by fiber optics from the operators’ stations to the point closest to your residence. From these points to the modem router, internet transmission is 100% via coaxial cable.
- Fiber optic internet plans: Fiber optic internet travels by pulses of light, transmitted by end-to-end fiber optic cables, unlike DSL internet and Coaxial Cable. Fiber optic cable is constructed of thin strands of glass or plastic. Just to give you an idea, a fiber optic internet wire corresponds to less than a tenth of the thickness of a human hair. Even though they are quite thin, the wires are very resistant and have great data transmission capacity. One of the advantages of fiber optic internet is that the upload speed is as fast as the download speed. As the transmission is made by pulses of light, there is no interference from magnetic field or electricity, thus having superior quality and a constant speed.
- Internet via radio plans: Internet via radio is made by transmission by radio waves, which are transmitted by Spread Spectrum technology. Internet radio transmission works with an ISP tower near your house, which sends the signal to an antenna installed on the roof of your house or building. The radio internet signal is sent by radio frequency waves from a tower. Once this antenna receives the signal, it is transferred via cable to a modem connected to your computer, thus allowing you to connect to the internet. If you prefer, you can connect it to a Wi-Fi router to distribute the signal.
- Satellite internet plans: Satellite internet works with a satellite antenna with data exchange capability (it looks like the pay-TV antenna you already know). This antenna installed in your house communicates with a satellite in orbit, about 36 thousand kilometers from Earth. At this distance, the satellite rotates at the same rate as our planet, keeping in tune with your home antenna.
4 – Pay attention to promotions
Broadband internet companies usually offer promotional prices for new subscribers. But be careful, even though they are attractive, the plans are usually valid for a certain period, such as two or three months. In addition, this information is not usually disclosed clearly. So that there are no surprises, ask the real value of the monthly fee or consult our plan comparator, as we explain when the promotion is and for how long.
Operators often offer benefits along with broadband, such as access to exclusive online content and video streaming services. Calmly evaluate what each package provides and whether the bonus will be useful. Avoid closing contracts on impulse so you don’t pay for something you won’t use later.
5 – Review the support offered
We know that no service is 100% perfect and problems may arise at some point. When that happens, having quality support on your side will be critical so that a problem doesn’t snowball. Find out about the availability of assistance and how quickly problems are usually resolved. Search for this information through the company’s customer service, social networks, and even on complaint sites, so you will be aware not only of the quality of support but of the service as a whole.
6 – Research the advantages and benefits of the plans
Before choosing which provider you are going to commit to, take the opportunity to discover the advantages and benefits of the plans offered. And don’t forget that even the same provider can offer several plans, with different characteristics.
In some situations, it may be worth taking a more expensive plan if it offers incentives that are interesting and relevant to you. That’s why it’s important to get all the information about the plans available with the providers you’re considering hiring. So, sit down with your family and review the plans, taking into account their perks and benefits, as well as the price. That’s the way to choose the right plan.
You need to assess what kind of usage you will be having from the internet on a daily basis. For example, some of us are not aggressive users and would find a decent plan more than sufficient for remote working or simple browsing. However, if you are a heavy user and use streaming platforms or download content from the internet, you need an internet plan that provides both speed and bandwidth. To know more about websites that can help you download great entertainment content for free on the internet, please click here.
7 – Assess provider reputation
Once you understand and select the best technology available for the internet, it’s time to evaluate providers. You need to assess the provider’s reputation to make sure you are getting a reliable, quality service. Keep in mind that this reputation assessment is not limited to the technical aspects of the service. After all, when you hire a service provider, the relationship is also a key factor in your satisfaction as a customer.
You want high-speed internet, but you also want fast and efficient service when you need support. You want a provider that has the latest technology, but you also want to hire a company that is committed to customer satisfaction.
To assess reputation, you can visit the provider’s website, search for references about it on the internet, and talk to friends and acquaintances who use or have used their service. That way, you’ll be able to keep on your list of options only those providers that are truly capable of delivering a good experience to your customers.
Quality internet doesn’t have to be expensive
When it comes to home economics, cutting expenses can be a challenging task. After all, some services are essential for some families. An example is an internet. Some people need to use the network at home, whether for work or study. In these cases, cutting service is not an alternative, but with a good search, it is possible to find cheaper offers and reduce broadband expenses.
Subscribing to internet services is among the main accounts of a household budget. After all, it is very difficult for a family to be without this facility these days. It is important to allow access to content, videos, social networks, school or work surveys, etc. Thus, cutting this cost is not very interesting when looking at the economy.
Still, there are ways to lower your spending in this category. The best of them is to learn how to choose an internet plan. With this, you choose the best cost-benefit and enjoy the ideal service for your use.